Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What Are You Looking For?

“I have climbed the highest mountain
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you

I have run
I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls, these city walls
Only to be with you
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for …”

from “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Lookin’ For” by U2

How many times have we been asked the questions, “What have you lost?” “What are you looking for?”

As Campus Minister at Bellevue Marquette High School, I had an apple-shaped candy dish in my office. By far, blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers were the favorite among the students. Students would literally run to my office or sneak out of class to search the candy dish for these blue, squared-shaped nuggets of refined sugar! Students were often disappointed when the limited supply of blue raspberry was depleted.

At one point, the candy dish provided me a “teachable moment.” I reflected on what motivates them to search for this specific piece of candy? What do I search for that gives me meaning and purpose? What have I lost in my life that I continue to seek joy and fulfillment?

Upon further pondering, I discovered I had an opportunity to teach the students basic Christian principles such as sharing, loving, being good stewards, respect. The candy dish gave me a chance to evangelize and “break bread” with them. I challenged the “regulars” to become good stewards by bringing a bag of candy periodically. One student answered the invitation.

Overall, they were seeking much more than candy; they were seeking answers which were life giving and challenged them to thrive. Gradually, the deeper conversations happened.

Jeremiah 29:13 states, “You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.”

In the Gospels, Jesus is asked 183 questions and only answers three! In return, He poses 307 questions! One of the most beautiful of His questions to us is “What do you want me to do for you?” Notice that Jesus wants to fulfill our deepest desires and disregards our imperfections and Jolly Ranchers are not the answer!

Jesus style of ministry probably did not utilize a candy dish. He did use nets and salt, yeast and wine, coins, seeds and inviting questions. Jesus was not a teacher of dogmatic theology. He was a transformer of the soul.

“O LORD, You have searched me and known me. Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;” Psalm 139:1, 23

The next time you go searching through a candy dish, think about what you are seeking. What can Jesus do for you?

No comments: