It's been a few weeks since my last post. After such a great run in December, I sensed I would have a dry period at some point. However, once again, a song has inspired me to write.
As I was attempting to relax so I could sleep tonight, I was listening to my clock radio. John Mayer's song, Say, came on and I immediately jumped from my bed to write!
I first heard this song at the end of the movie, The Bucket List. It hit home to me then as it did tonight. The message I came away with is the importance to share with our loved ones and close friends exactly what their lives have meant to me.
Earlier tonight, the movie, Hitch, was on television. I find it amazing how this song and movie challenge me to cast away my fears by expressing to those important to me how much I love and care about them. However, it is "risky business" to make oneself vulnerable. The scariest part is taking the first step --by facing fear straight in the face and telling someone how much you love them -- or to ask for and/or give forgiveness to someone. Why is "easier" to hold a grudge than to ask for peace? Why is it "easier" to stuff our feelings than to safely express them to another human? This baffles me to no end!
I struggle with these aspects of human behavior. Why do we choose to play emotional games in our relationships? Why do we spend more time and energy building and hiding behind walls instead of investing that time into building bridges with people? This starts with our interpersonal relationships all the way to international/political relationships. John Mayer's verse relates to my thoughts:
"Walking like a one man army
Fighting with the shadows in your head
Living out the same old moment
Knowing you'd be better off instead,
If you could only . . .
Say what you need to say [x8]"
Many of us, myself included, are much like a "one man army" when we choose to rehash our mistakes and shortcomings and allow our minds to play the "what if," "if only," and "should have" tapes in our heads instead of being proactive by taking that same energy to take a risk to share a part of ourselves with someone -- even if that someone is ourself! The hardest person to love and forgive is ourselves; perhaps this is why it is even more difficult to share these virtues with others, also.
I also like this verse, especially the last two lines:
"Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end
Its better to say too much
Then never say what you need to say again"
The song and movies, Hitch and The Bucket List each challenge me to not be afraid to share my thoughts, opinions, love and forgiveness with others -- especially the most challenging and difficult people in my life.
Here are the lyrics and the YouTube link:
Say -- by John Mayer
Take all of your wasted honor
Every little past frustration
Take all of your so-called problems,
Better put 'em in quotations
Say what you need to say [x8]
Walking like a one man army
Fighting with the shadows in your head
Living out the same old moment
Knowing you'd be better off instead,
If you could only . . .
Say what you need to say [x8]
Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end
Its better to say too much
Then never say what you need to say again
Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open
Say what you need to say [x24]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOjfDQFbnXA
No comments:
Post a Comment