For the first time, I heard and viewed Whitney Houston's new song, "I Look to You," on YouTube. The lyrics have a powerful question ... to whom do I look to when life is difficult and challenging?
I Look to You
As I lay me down
Heaven hear me now
I'm lost without a cause
After giving it my all
Winter storms have come
And darkened my sun
After all that I've been through
Who on earth can I turn to
I look to you
I look to you
After all my strength is gone
In you I can be strong
I look to you
I look to you
Yeah
And when melodies are gone
In you I hear a song
I look to you
After losing my breath
There's no more fighting left
Sinking to rise no more
Searching for that open door
And every road that I've taken
Lead to my regret
And I don't know if I'm gonna make it
Nothing to do but lift my head
For me, I look to my family and closest friends when life becomes too overwhelming for me. Through them, I not only see, but experience Christ's presence working in and through them. They, like Christ, love me unconditionally -- as I do in return to them.
As I listened to the song, I thought of these very dear and beloved people in my life. Further, I sincerely heard Christ challenge me to share this with those special people. I may even use this song as my prayer service for an STA staff meeting and challenge them to do the same.
There are two constants in life ... it's short and it changes all the time. It is very important to me to tell the people I love, that I love them. I, like all humans, do not know when I will take my last earthly breath. While I have time, I want to use my earthly breaths as positively as I can. One of those ways is through my verbal expression on a daily basis. I can also use my earthly breaths through written expression.
My personal challenge is also an invitation to you -- to take time to share the importance and value of those lives whom have made a definite impact on your life.
As Thomas Merton states, "No man is an island." We need each other to thrive and grow as individuals ... and in the greater context of humanity. We are built for communion and unity which equals COMMUNITY!!! Unfortunately, there are some people whom have never experienced love or other affirming acts in their lives. How sad. Let us "spiritually adopt" those that are neglected, ignored or abandoned by humanity. In the meantime, let us count a blessing for every person we have received love and kindness from.
One of my favorite Catholic writers is Sr. Joyce Rupp. Her thoughts from her book, The Cosmic Dance, relates to Thomas Merton and sums up my thoughts.
"I see that I am not a separate entity, and never could be, because the tiny particles of my body are dancing, intermingling with the particles of life around me. It is not a matter of “them” and “me,” whether this be people rocks, sea anemones, clouds, or rabbits on the run. Rather, it is a matter of “us.”"
For those that follow and/or read this blog ... I look to YOU! Thank you for the gift of your friendship and love in my life! You have made my life more meaningful and richer because of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment