For the first time in several years, last weekend, I returned to my alma mater, Loras College, for their annual Homecoming festivities. As an alumni, my past Homecoming experiences have not been very positive. Thus, I went with a guarded mindset and kept my expectations very low. By doing so, I must admit, this was the BEST Homecoming experience I can recall!
It was amazing to encounter many Bellevue Marquette alumni, former students I worked with, which are now Loras College alumni! Several of them have married and have babies now! The odds of knowing so many young alumni is usually quite small for someone of my age. Ironically, there were very few, if any, alumni from my "era" there. God sure has a sense of humor sometimes!!
By mid afternoon, I paid a visit to the infamous Loras College watering hole, the Walnut Tap! As I entered the bar, I instantously went back to the '80s! The place was packed just like the good old days and 80s music was playing! I knew I was home and felt the warmth of the Loras community in that tiny bar! I was deeply touched by an '04 Loras alum, whom I worked with when he attended Marquette High School. I will never, ever forget the humbling compliment I received from Joe. As I recall the moment, I am speechless! I never knew how much of an impact I had on his life until Saturday and my eyes welled up as he shared this with me.
In gratitude, I returned to campus to attend the late afternoon Homecoming Mass. Fr. John Haugen, dean of campus spiritual life, gave his typical challenging homily. He shared how the weekend's Scriptures coincided perfectly with the school's Homecoming celebration.
Overall, the theme of belonging resonated through these readings. When we "come home," we come to a place where there is a community, a sense of belonging. Fr. Haugen challenged us with two rhetorical questions -- "who's in your group?" and, more importantly, "who is NOT in your group?" In other words, if a person is a truly a Christian, they will welcome EVERYONE into their circle. However, sad fact that it is, this is an ideal and not reality. As humans, it is interesting to think about why there is a "pecking order" in all phases of life. Why do every single one of us "pick and choose" whom is either "in" or "out" of our groups, organizations, personal and professional relationships, etc?
These introspective questions have caused me to ponder whom I include in my "inner circle," those I do not and vice-versa. Where am I accepted and where in am I excluded? In all four questions, the question of why follows closely behind each one.
To me, the phrase, "home is where you hang your heart" is very true and goes beyond the borders of just my family. It extends to my friendships -- another family whom loves me as I love them. Yet, I must examine why I chosen to have these relationships and not others.
In closing, where do you "hang your heart?" Why?
No comments:
Post a Comment