Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving is Thanks LIVING!

Through the powerful grace of God, I am inspired to write on this Thanksgiving Eve. I have desired to write for a while, but have been in the desert in various ways the past month or so. Thus, it is with much gratitude I have been blessed with this opportunity to express myself via my writing.

As I drove to Dubuque from Ames yesterday, I had a solid three-plus hours of reflection and prayer. I listened to Josh Groban's Christmas CD, Noel. My favorite track is "Thankful." The song's message reflects on the many people whom have been influential in my life - whether they are living or deceased. Each one of them has contributed toward my personal, professional and/or spiritual growth in various ways.

Being home with my family has a deeper meaning for me this Thanksgiving. The old adage, "absence makes the heart grow fonder," is so very true for me this Thanksgiving.

Earlier this week, I came across a quote from American poet, Maya Angelou. Pun intended, it truly "hit home" for me.
"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we
can go as we are and not be questioned."

Lately, I have been very homesick. The gift of hugs and smiles last night I received from Mom and some of my siblings are precious and priceless to me. Seeing my youngest brother, Ron, for the first time in months, meant so much. And, I really didn't mind how much he enjoyed annoying me because it was his way of expressing his love to me. It was great to be teased by Brad, my brother-in-law and to share a pizza with him, Amy and Julie, my sisters, and the two youngest grandchildren, Maddy and Benjamin.

I may not be the wealthiest when it comes to material things. However, I believe I am the richest woman in the world when it comes to the relationships in my life. To me, that is what life is all about -- taking the risk to become vulnerable to others by sharing your love, thoughts and opinions with them. The older I get, the more and more I realize how truly short life is. It is a priority in my life to tell those I love, that I truly love them regardless of their age or status in life. A popular song in the mid-1960s, "What the World Needs Now" comes to mind.


"What the world needs now is love, sweet love!
It's the only thing that there's too little of!
What the world needs now is love, sweet love!
Not just for some, but for everyone!"

This morning, I received an email from my friend, Terry. Terry is a young man living with a disability sustained from a high school football accident several years ago. He had a choice to be beaten by this disability or to find a new path to work with his physical limitations. It boils down to one word ... ATTITUDE! Terry serves as a wonderful example of THANKS LIVING through his "attitude of gratitude."

Terry sent this reflective Thanksgiving poem which has helped me to re-focus my priorities today. To me, it motivates me to focus on the blessings within the burdens the game of life deals to me. And, at the same time, to realize there are burdens within my blessings. May this piece of prose touch you in a profound way!

Be thankful that you don't have everything you desire.
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something,
for it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations,
because they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge,
because it will build character and strength.

Be thankful for your mistakes.
They will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you are tired and weary,
because it means you've made a difference.

It is easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who
are also thankful for the setbacks.

Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles,
and they can become your blessings.

Anonymous

May you celebrate your Thanksgiving not just for one day in November, but EVERY DAY! Being Irish, I think the Claddagh symbol speaks very profoundly to me every day. The symbol is a heart (friendship) cradled in love (two hands) with a crown to symbolize loyalty. May your Thanksgiving celebration be filled with love, friendship, loyalty and a lot of laughter!

I close with a YouTube link to Josh Groban's song, "Thankful." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2M0GQOgYGg&feature=related

No comments: