
As I begin this post, I find it ironic Billy Joel's song, "River of Dreams" is playing on Pandora. His song and the movie I watched last night carry the same message ... don't let life -- or your dreams -- pass you by!
Last night I spent quality time with Mom and my brother, Kevin. Kevin recently completed his basement remodeling project. We enjoyed the comforts of his authentic Irish pub complete with gas fireplace, a 68 inch wide screen television with surround sound! We watched the Disney-Pixar movie, Up, and felt like we were in our own cinema complex!
The storyline reveals how Carl and Ellie Fredericksen spent their lives dreaming and talking about moving to Paradise Falls in the jungles of South America. They would relocate their "dream house" there on the edge of the falls. Ellie kept a scrapbook called "My Big Adventure" which had a section designated, "Stuff I'm Going to Do ..." Unfortunately, life gets the best of them and they never realize their dream. After Ellie passes away, Carl is alone and reflects on this fact.
However, he decides to embark on this adventure when he learns the city wants to demolish his home and he would have to move to a retirement community. Carl moves his home by attaching helium-filled balloons and an action-packed adventure begins!
I came away from this movie with several messages. First, how many times am I guilty of "talking the talk but NOT walking the walk" in my life? I am the only one holding myself back from whatever rainbow I want to chase. Why do I allow it? Fear, perhaps, is the number one obstacle. My second obstacle is a sense of unworthiness; that I don't deserve whatever it is I dream about. I would rather see someone else's dream bear fruit before myself. Procrastination and a litany of excuses serve as the third and fourth theives I allow to rob me of my dreams.
For me, my "big adventure" is to travel to Ireland and Australia. However, the "band of theives" described in the previous paragraph have kept me from this dream because I have freely chosen to allow them to have power and control of this dream. The root of my problem is not allowing myself permission to chase these adventures. I related very well to Carl when he viewed the empty pages of the scrapbook's "Stuff I Am Going to Do ..." section. I know I don't want to view these same pages of my life's scrapbook; however, I struggle to give myself permission to run with my dream.
Second, I thought this movie's underlying thread was love and relationships. When we share our thoughts and dreams, we make ourselves vulnerable. Through that vulnerability, we empower each other and grow as individuals and in our relationship. We also experience the dynamic of accountability as well. In the long run, Carl's home was destroyed, but he realized no one could destroy his priceless possessions of memories,dreams and relationships. He discovered no matter how difficult life becomes, he knew whom he could depend upon -- as those same folks discovered they could depend upon Carl. Although his wife had passed away, he was blessed with new relationships in his life. Carl became a "surrogate father" to Russell, a Wilderness Explorer scout, and a dog named Dug. Together, they supported one another and became a family.
People come in and out of our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime. This thought coincides with the movie's theme and my Thanksgiving time I've spent with my family and friends this week. Everyone that has come into my life has served one of these three purposes -- as I have served in their life as well. I have been on a "spending frenzy" from my "quality time" account this week. The return I receive is put into my "memories account" with the help of a digital camera, too!
The late John Lennon of the Beatles sums it up best for me and this movie. "Life happens when you are busy making other plans." This movie served as a good reflection point for me. It reminded me of a similar message from another movie, The Bucket List. I am reminded of one other movie, Dead Poets Society, where Robin Williams character, English professor, John Keating, would challenge his students with his famous line, "Carpe diem! Seize the day!"
So, what's UP for you today? Are you UP to "seize the day?" Whom do you look UP to? What are you waiting for? The time has arrived to get UP and chase the dream -- no matter how small or large it is!
No comments:
Post a Comment