Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lord, Help Me to Stick Up for Myself

Many years ago, I received this reflection and share it with you today. May it empower each of us to feel comfortable to say "no," in a healthy, positive way.

Lord, Help Me to Stick Up for Myself

Lord,

Help me to stick up for myself. Teach me to how and when to say, "No!" May I learn to distinguish between what people really need and what would merely be convenient for them. Help me not to treat unreasonable demands as though they were legitimate requests.

Lord Jesus, I don't want to become hard-shelled, self-centered or inconsiderate of others. But even you found time to get away from people and their demands to rest and strengthen your spirit. You saw that it wasn't possible for you to respond to every one's needs. You didn't heal all the sick or feed every hungry person in Israel or raise all those who died.

You did what you were able to do, calmly and lovingly, with the recognition of your own and others human limitations. And you were the Son of God! You may have been the Messiah, but you didn't fulfill every one's expectations or try to do everything.

Lord Jesus, I need to become more like you. I, too, cannot do everything for everyone, and I need to stop apologizing for my limitations. Help me to say that it is OK to stand up for myself and make my needs known to others.

You had not hesitation about letting others help you and minister to your needs. May I learn when and how to ask others to help me and not feel guilty when I do. Teach me how to receive as well as to give.

I count, Lord. I matter. Somehow I keep forgetting that fact. I am important. My worth is so great that You died for me. If you value me that much, how can I value myself less? Help me to take pride in my worth as I strive to find a healthy balance between helping others and helping myself.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for your patience with me as I struggle for greater self-esteem and a healthier self-image.

For healing which has already taken place and will continue to take place, I thank and praise you.

Amen

No comments: