Tuesday, December 7, 2010

While I'm Waiting



Recently, I came across the Christian song, While I'm Waiting, by John Waller. The lyrics spoke very profoundly to me, especially since this is the Advent season.

Here are the lyrics:

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait
I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint

I'll be running the race
Even while I wait
I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord

And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will serve you
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting on You, Lord


How many times have I heard myself say "hurry up and wait!"? Throughout my life, how often have I found myself waiting for someone or something I desire? It probably happens much more than I realize! From short periods such as in line at the bank or grocery store, to longer periods such as preparing for a large-scaled, life changing event like:

The birth of a child
Defining myself and my life's vocation
Searching for unconditional love (whether that be within myself or in my pursuit of a suitable partner -- which could be through a man or with God by remaining celibate)Praying for a loved one during surgery or a medical exam
Praying for a friend to receive the gifts of justice and inner peace
A job interview/promotion
The passing of one year to the next, among many others.


When I experience waiting, my patience level is challenged very easily. Although I am an adult, sometimes I believe my selfishness and immediate gratification parallels an adolescents attitude. "I want it NOW!" seems to frequently run through my head. However, when I "let go and let God," take control, it's ironically and paradoxically amazing how peaceful and peace-filled I become. If I am to have whatever I desire, God will grant it to me, under one condition ... in HIS time, not mine!

Of all the liturgical seasons, Advent is absolutely my favorite. The season offers four weeks of spiritual preparation for Christ's birth -- the TRUE "reason for the season!" For some strange reason, I find myself writing more frequently during the Advent season. Is it any small wonder how I "accidentally" came across this song and it's YouTube video last weekend? To me, this song is truly my Heavenly Father speaking to me! The lyrics remind me to worship and serve Him while I wait. While I am waiting, I am to continue to live my life and go about the daily grind through worship and service to God. One way or another, God will definitely surprise me with His answer to my request. Though the answer may not be what I expected, there is always a reason why I was not to receive whatever I thought I needed. God always, always provides -- and in many cases in my life, He ABUNDANTLY provides!

Through the waiting period, it may be painful but the good that results from it is personal and spiritual growth. I may not recognize the growth until much later, but when I proverbially put "two and two together," it is such an amazing, "a-ha," moment from the "God of Surprises!" It usually comes when I'm NOT expecting it ... making it even more richer and meaningful to me.

What are you waiting for this Advent season?

Dr. Suess expresses it the best! “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way.”

Here's the link for the song's YouTube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7TSGptd3Y

No comments: