
'The longer I live the more I believe
You do have to give if you wanna receive
There's a time to listen, a time to talk
And you might have to crawl even after you walk
Had sure things blow up in my face
Seen the long shot, win the race
Been knocked down by the slamming door
Picked myself up and came back for more
Life's a dance you learn as you go
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know
Life's a dance you learn as you go."
from John Michael Montgomery's song Life's A Dance
For those that know me well, I'm not much of a "boot scootin', country girl!" I don't listen to much country music. However, there is a rare country song or two that will "strike a chord" on my heart strings. John Michael Montgomery's, Life's a Dance, is one of these songs.
I first encountered this song in the fall of 2002 while I was working at Bellevue Marquette High School. One of these hats included serving as senior class advisor.
Each year, my role was to guide the seniors discussion, and eventual vote, on various things such as class flower, colors and song for Homecoming. "Life's a Dance" was selected by the class of '03. Needless to say, I was quite impressed with this group of high school seniors and their song/theme choice. As campus minister, I used the song as their senior class renewal day theme. I could not tell you what any other class from 2002 to 2006 chose as their song; thus this one left a lasting impression!
When I meditate on the lyrics, they are filled with truth and wisdom about this one-time only journey called life.
My mother comes from a family of excellent dancers!!! Unfortunately, somewhere in the DNA gene pool, I missed receiving the "dance chromosome" from the McDermott family tree! I'm not a very good dancer - especially line, ballroom or Latin dancing. I haven't had a lot of exposure to formal dance steps probably since high school square dance class! I think my PE teacher felt sorry for me as she simply smiled and passed me! Guess I can blame my "dance illiteracy" on the fact I'm a "child of the '80s!!!" LOL!!!
Seriously, I usually become very insecure and self-conscience when I am asked to line, swing or ballroom dance. I turn into a "human octopus," as I am suddenly aware I now have eight legs and arms!!! Due to my nervousness, I assume I am to lead, when it is not my role. Fear envelops me and I struggle to find my focus as I attempt to determine my role at the same time!
There is good news! In the past two years, I have come a long way in this area!! My fears have subsided due to my dear friends and awesome dancers, Tim and Kyle. They are the best when it comes to dealing with a neurotic, "human octopus" like me! Both of them have a special gift of helping me to focus on my role -- following -- while they perform their role -- leading. Combine this gift with patience and encouragement and I think the two of them are in line to be canonized saints of heaven's dance floor!!!! ;o)
Yet, my personal experiences on the dance floor and in life have taught me parallel, rhythmic lessons of wisdom. The lyrics from this song coincide with these thoughts.
First, I have learned when it is appropriate to lead versus when to follow. Further, both roles are necessary as life dictates them to me -- whether that be on an actual dance floor or "life's dance floor!" Leaders and followers need each other as they give balance to the rhythm of life.
If we choose to be receptive, both dance roles teach us a lot! Just as the lyrics state, "... you learn as you go!" To me, this is so very true! An infant cannot walk without first learning how to pull themselves up onto their knees and begin to crawl. Crawling leads to walking along furniture. Then, one day, an infant has gained enough confidence to walk independently simply by believing in themselves and to follow one step in front of another. However, none of this would be possible without the encouragement of their parents and other loved ones. The same is true in all aspects of our development as a person! Each of us needs a dose of affirmation and encouragement as we pass through the various stages of life.
Second, the best lessons in life have occurred when I have fallen and pulled myself out of the ashes ... or picking myself up off of the dance floor! Yes, these were painful, sometimes humiliating times ... and they will continue to happen until my earthly life is complete. Sometimes I have to learn a whole new set of steps to get me back to the proverbial "square one."
Yet, through it all, there is one dance partner I have learned to count upon -- Jesus. He doesn't snicker at me when I mess up on the dance floor or otherwise. He gently brings me back to the beginning of the song and we start over ... together! He constantly encourages me to trust His lead on everything on and off of the dance floor. Sometimes this is difficult for me to do. How can I trust someone I have never personally met? Guess it's called one word ... FAITH! I only need to look closely at the people in my life that love and accept me unconditionally as He does every day! He is right smack in front of me, if I chose to become focused on each person as if no one else were in the room!
Every one of us has an opportunity to have Him, the best dance partner ... ever! All we simply do is to ask, "Jesus, may I have this dance?" And, be reassured, you will never be rejected! He'll just return the favor of an invitation to continue to dance with Him!
There is a poem which expresses more eloquently than I could ever dream to! It is entitled, "Footprints With a Twist." I believe this poem and John Michael Montgomery's lyrics are in "perfect rhythm!"
FOOTPRINTS WITH A TWIST
- Author Unknown
- Author Unknown
You have a dream that you and the Lord Jesus walking down the road together.
For much of the way, the Lord's footprints go along steadily, consistently, rarely varying the pace.
But your footprints are a disorganized stream of zigzags, starts, stops, turnarounds, circles,
departures and returns.
For much of the way, it seems to go like this, but gradually your footprints come
more in line with the Lord's soon paralleling His consistently.
You and Jesus are walking as true friends!
This seems perfect, but then an interesting thing happens: your footprints, that once etched the sand next to Jesus', are now walking precisely in His steps.
Inside His larger footprints are your smaller ones, safely you and Jesus are becoming one.
This goes on for many miles but gradually you notice another change.
The footprints inside the larger footprints seem to grow larger.
Eventually they disappear altogether.
There is only one set of footprints; they have become one.
This goes on for a long time, but suddenly the second set of footprints is back.
This time it seems even worse!
Zigzags all over the place. Stops. Starts.
Deep gashes in the sand.
A veritable mess of prints. You are amazed and shocked. Your dream ends.
Now you pray: "Lord, I understand the first scene with the zigzags and fits. I was a new Christian; I was just learning. But You walked on through the storm and helped me learn to walk with you."
"That is correct.""
... and when the smaller footprints were inside of Yours, I was actually learning to walk in Your steps; I followed you very closely.
""Very good. You have understood everything so far."
"...when the smaller footprints grew and filled in Yours, I suppose that I was becoming like you in every way."
"Precisely."
"So, Lord, was there a regression or something? The footprints separated, and this time it was worse than at first."
There is a pause as the Lord answers with a smile in His voice.
"You didn't know? That was when we danced."
********************************************
And now, may I have this dance with you?
"Dance like nobody is watching!
Love like you've never been hurt!
Sing like nobody is listening!
Live like it's heaven on earth!"
Irish Proverb
No comments:
Post a Comment