Earlier this afternoon, I discovered this analogy on the web. I found it's message very empowering and thought provoking. This reflection coincides with an encounter I had with a friend earlier this week. Through their complimentary words, which I seldom I hear, I felt the rose petals within myself blossom. Their affirmation of me was like the water my roots needed very badly from them -- and, to my knowledge, they were completely unaware!
Thus, there is power in the words we choose to express ourselves ... they can either build up or tear down someone's self esteem. They can harm or they can heal. It is important to remember each one of us is a living temple or tabernacle -- Christ's dwelling place is within us. Thus, it is truly wise to "think before one speaks," because once words have been spoken, they cannot be taken back.
How have the words you have spoken or written today been a source of building the Kingdom ... or destroying it?
A Rose Within
A certain man planted a rose and watered it faithfully.
Before it blossomed, he examined it. He saw the bud that would soon blossom and also the thorns.
He thought, "How can any beautiful flower come from a plant burdened with so many sharp thorns?" Saddened by this thought, he neglected to water the rose, and before it was ready to bloom, it died.
So it is with many people. Within every soul there is a rose. The God-like qualities planted in us at birth grow amid the thorns of our faults. Many of us look at ourselves and see only the thorns.
We despair, thinking that nothing good can possibly come from us. We neglect to water the good within us.
We never realize our potential.
Some people do not see the rose within themselves; someone else must show it to them. One of the greatest gifts a person can possess is to be able to reach past the thorns and find the rose within others.
This is the characteristic of love, to look at a person, and knowing their faults, recognize the nobility in their soul. If we show them the rose, they will conquer the thorns.
Author Unknown
The song, If I Could Turn Back Time by Cher relates very well to my thoughts today.
If I Could Turn Back Time
I don’t know why I did the things I did
I don’t know why I said the things I said
Pride’s like a knife, it can cut deep inside
Words are like weapons, they wound sometimes
I didn’t really mean to hurt you
I didn’t wanna see you go
I know I made you cry
But baby
Chorus
If I could turn back time
If I could find a way
I’d take back those words that have hurt you
And you’d stay
If I could reach the starsI’d give them all to you
Then you’d love me, love me
Like you used to do
If I could turn back
My world was shattered, I was torn apart
Like somebody took a knife
And drove it deep in my heart
When you walked out that doorI swore that I didn’t care
But I lost every thing darling then and there
Too strong to tell you I was sorry
Too proud to tell you I was wrong
I know that I was blind, and darling
Chorus
No comments:
Post a Comment