I tend to have an Ignatian approach to spirituality and the way I encounter God. Briefly, Ignatian spirituality was founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola. He developed the religious community known as the Society of Jesus, or Jesuits. This spirituality is deeply rooted in becoming more aware of what is happening in daily experience – finding God in all things. Through this self awareness, one can then begin to discern where the spirits of light or darkness may be trying to lead. We become more aware of God’s presence in our lives and more attentive to His desire’s rather than our own.
Thus, I spent a good portion of my day working on two prayer services for future staff meetings. Both services were inspired by contemporary music I have encountered this summer.
The first prayer service is the theme of tonight's post -- Following Your Northern Star: Life's Epiphany Moments.
When I hear the word, epiphany, I first think of the the three magi following the star to discover the infant Jesus in Bethlehem. The dictionary gives four definitions of epiphany; The third definition applies at the moment: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.
Just as the magi had faith to follow a star, in modern day terms, what is the star we follow? Who has served as a star in your life? How have I served to be a star to others?
Since mid July, I have experienced God speaking to me through people and ordinary objects regarding my dream to travel to Ireland. All of these ordinary encounters came together this past Thursday.
My day started off with a Facebook chat with Maura, a recent Iowa State alum and former STA peer minister. She informed me of Garth Brooks, song called "Ireland." Here's the YouTube link -- complete with the lyrics! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8AXZoFQKhA
Second, I received a very unexpected gift from Jeff, one of our new peer ministers. Jeff studied in Ireland last semester. He stopped in and gave me a Connemara stone rosary from the Cliffs of Moher and a set of coasters with the Egan family crest imprinted on them. Needless to say, I was deeply touched and humbled!
Shortly after I opened these gifts, I asked him to come with me to our pastor's office. Fr. Jon is a diehard Irishman, so I invited him to have the honor of blessing my Connemara rosary in Jeff's presence. So, Fr. Jon broke the seal on the rosary's package and blessed it in front of us. It was truly a sacred moment for the three of us. My limited past experience of asking a priest to bless a sacramental usually has happened behind a closed door. Not in this case! Fr. Jon's office door was wide open and everyone present in the office heard him very clearly bless the rosary. It was a very thoughtful, thought-filled, spiritual blessing I will never, ever forget!!! I was moved even more deeply through this action on Fr. Jon's part.
As I reflect on today and earlier events this summer, I just experienced an "epiphany moment" by "connecting all the dots" by bringing these four independent events together -- they have a common thread speaking to me to get serious about planning my dream trip to Ireland!!!!
The first visible and "no brainer" sign to me was meeting my new Emerald Isle friend, Dee, this summer! Secondly, I honestly believe He used Maura as an instrument to connect me to the Garth Brooks song. Thirdly, perhaps God and the Blessed Mother used Jeff as a third instrument to communicate through him through his gifts from the "old country!" Fourth, Fr. Jon definitely had a role as he is a deep lover of Ireland and the sincere blessing he spoke! "Is it odd or is it God?" in all of this-- I think the answer is obvious!!!
Yet there is one more puzzle piece to share which completes this beautiful spiritual awakening. This "missing link," is the inspiration behind tonight's post and the future prayer service I will use.
Thanks to my dear friend, Tim, for the first time ever, I heard the country song, "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts. Since encountering this song, I have pondered its lyrics most of the summer. I desired to find a creative way where I could use the song's message and today it was revealed by writing a prayer service around it. Here's the YouTube link to listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkWGwY5nq7A
Without realizing it until today, all of these people and their acts of kindness have served as "northern stars" in my life. As with life, some dreams are fleeting, others take a hiatus, some become reality and still others become broken, but yet, in some profound way, they transplant into something so far beyond my imagination and become a new dream to chase!
As I ponder the lyrics, I hear a spiritual connection through this melancholic country love song. I hear it as a love song from Christ, our ultimate lover. He is the true northern star and guides us when we are so wrapped up being human!!! Thus, Matthew 2:1-12, the Epiphany story, truly rings loud, clear and connects with Rascal Flatts' song! How amazing is that?!?!?!
I close with this poem by Mary Lou Kownaski from the book One Hundred Graces.
Once they saw a star that pointed to a promised land,
to a land of peace.
Peacemakers set out to follow that star.
It is both a joyful and arduous journey.
Sometimes the star shines brightly,
the promise seems certain,
and the pilgrims can sing,
"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring God's peace."
Often the star disappears,clouded over,
hidden from view,
and the pilgrims grope blindly,
grow discouraged, get weary,
give thought to settling down,to forgetting the promise of peace.
One thing is certain: all pilgrims need nourishmentto sustain the journey.
An occasional oasis for the spirit is essential,
a time to feast on the refreshing waters,
the rich food of the spirit in order to get strength
to continue the pilgrimage
through darkness,
star-shine or not.
Amidst life's broken roads, consider their blessings and not so much their crosses! Eventually, they lead us to a whole new, undiscovered world ... only if we are receptive to it! Perhaps they may be considered unanswered prayers ... yet, another Garth Brooks song! How ironic!
May you discover, and serve as, a northern star to strangers and loved ones by leading them to what Christ's master plan is for them ... and yourself!
Slainte to broken roads and epiphany moments!
No comments:
Post a Comment