Wednesday, July 1, 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude

As each of us experiences their life's journey, we encounter pivotal moments that give our life meaning and purpose. These are a few that come to mind:

** First day of kindergarten
** Entering middle school and eventually high school
** A first date
** Receiving a driver's permit and then the license
** High school graduation and acceptance into college
** Moving away from home and gradually becoming self sufficient and independent of our parents
** A college internship which leads into a full-time position
** A serious dating relationship leading to engagement and then marriage
** Traveling to a new destination -- however one chooses to perceive and define this
** Death of a loved one.

The list is endless.

In my life, I have experienced most of these milestone moments. Today marks the an important "anniversary" in my life. Three years ago today, July 1, 2006, I took the greatest plunge in my life by moving to Ames, IA. I'll never forget that Saturday morning when myself, Mike and Ron, my two brothers, pulled out of my parents driveway at 7:15 am. We were a mini caravan of a U-Haul truck, Dad's Jeep Cherokee and my car. For the first time, I felt like I was an 18 year old leaving for college. I was a mixed bag of every emotion under the sky and rainbow! The odds of me "making it" were very much against me. However, being the tenacious Irish woman I am, I was very determined to prove my critics dead wrong. For those that thought I'd buckle and be back in Dubuque by Christmas 2006, it is tasting very sweet to celebrate my third anniversary today!

More importantly, I look back at the past three years and my heart is overflowing with gratitude and abundance. I see how much I have grown as a person and cannot take full credit for it. Just as a garden requires a gardener to nurture it, the same has been true for me. In my case, I've experienced many "gardeners" challenging me to thrive, and survive the "weeds of life" as I shape a life for myself in Ames. Not intended to sound cheesy, but each of you has been the necessary sunshine and light rain in my personal and spiritual growth during this time. Needless to say, I have experienced a lot of "growing pains" these past three years. However, "no pain, no gain" is so very true. That is why I am so grateful for those challenging times today. I have gained life lessons only taught in the "classroom of life" which have made me a stronger person since 2006. Special thanks to each of you for serving as a mentor, regardless of your age or status in life in this chapter of my life.

As I reminisce, I honestly must admit, I never thought Ames, IA would be a place of self discovery. In the past three years, I have met and encountered many interesting people from various cultures and backgrounds. Many opportunities to travel across the country to attend campus ministry development conferences have been a special delight for me. Thus far, I have been to four new places ... St. Louis, MO; South Bend, IN; Austin, TX and most recently, New Haven, CT. For fear of accidentially omitting someone, I thank all of you for your contribution to this milestone moment for me. I have not achieved this purely by my efforts alone. The gift of encouragement and friendship each of you has offered is precious and priceless to me.

In closing, Natalie Merchant's song, "Kind and Generous" expresses from the depths of my heart the gratitude and generosity I have been showered with from each of you these past three years.

Here's the link and enjoy!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdG618TMc5E

1 comment:

Tim Malone said...

Kris! Thank you for your friendship and for being there in many instances where I was having difficulties in my own life. I know you will always be there for me, and it has been a blessing in my life to be able to support you in difficult times. Thank you for all the people you have introduced me to and for your reckless abandon in making friends. All of these have contributed to our friendship that I value quite highly and look forward to continuing!

Slainte my friend!
Tim