Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rocky Mountain High -- Part Deux

"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." Frederick Buechner

Lately, I have experienced a spiritual hunger and thirst. And I believe our Heavenly Father has been quite aware of this as well. Apparently, God planted this quote in early July for me to see it come to fruition last weekend while I was in Denver, CO. Perhaps this is why He utilized St. Cecilia's youth minister as an instrument by inviting me to serve as a chaperone. Needless to say, I definitely experienced a deep spiritual joy and peace that has been absent from my life for sometime now. Eucharistic Adoration, Mass and personal quiet time were the right combination of "spiritual ingredients" for me to savor the Lord's deep,abiding and unconditional love for me. No pun intended, this trip provided me with a true "Rocky Mountain High" memory! I truly climbed to the highest spiritual mountain peak last weekend.

This was my third time to travel to Denver. When I think about it, each trip has a common thread of spirituality. My first time was the summer prior to starting college. I was a member of my high school's service trip to Walsenburg, CO. Denver was one of our stops along this ten-day venture from Dubuque ... and our parents!!!! This was my very, very first long distance trip from the security and comfort zone of Dubuque and to be away from my family for longer period of time.

My second trip was in 1993 for Pope John Paul II's World Youth Day visit. I could go on and on of the numerous spiritual encounters I received from this trip!!!

And, now, 16 years later, a third chapter of spiritual moments to reflect upon! I never realized how Catholic and how spiritual the city of Denver truly is!!!! I count this as another of those spiriutal "a-ha moments" I freely received by being in Denver.

SPIRITUAL CHALLENGES

On Monday, July 13, I experienced a "spiritual attack" to deny myself this trip. My dear friends, Tim and Mike, were visiting Ames for a couple weeks. Since we have few opportunities for extended visits, I was mindfully being challenged and tempted to back out. Yet, once I make a commitment, I do my best to honor it. Thus, I requested "divine intervention" to come to my aid. I knew these thoughts, temptations and mind games were initiated by Satan. Further, I told myself, "... this too shall pass." ... and it did! Humbly and thankfully, God honored my request.

On the afternoon of July 16, I misplaced my cell phone at the office. I was leaving Ames in less than 8 hours for Denver. It was apparent I was under a second "spiritual attack."

As a primarily extroverted person, the cell phone is my "umbilical cord" to the world (which I chuckle at the irony of it all since cell phones are wireless! Go figure!). Once I came to my senses out of the flurry of anxiety and chaos, I came to the quick conclusion of how "technology co-dependent" I am ... and therefore, the American culture. God revealed to me, with the help of His "spiritual 2x4," how much I depend on my cell phone more so than Him. So, I was presented with a choice -- fret and worry about not having my cell phone OR celebrate that God had stripped it from me for the next few days so I could have a 100 percent spiritual focus. In the long run, it truly was a "spiritual call" from 1.800.Pearly Gates and answering THIS call was much more important than any I would make or receive during the weekend!

SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS
I honestly do not know where to begin! I was so freely, unconditionally and abundantly blessed in the short time I was in Denver.

Overall, approximately 2,000 teenagers and adults attended this conference. On a smaller scale, it brought back my memories of the Opening Ceremonies for Pope John Paul II some 16 years earlier at the former Mile High Stadium! One moment, it was like the largest "rock concert for Jesus" with praise, dancing and celebration; and in a blink of an eye, the entire auditorium was reverant, serene and prayerful.

After the Saturday morning session with Crystalina and Jason Evert, I discovered how I was called into the quiet of the chapel area. I desperately needed the afternoon for myself. We had been on such a high-paced, intense schedule, that I was at a mental, physical and spiritual breaking point. However, I did not plan to spend a majority of the afternoon in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament; But God definitely knew I need to replenish my spirit! Thus, going back to the opening quote of this post, I was "spiritually fed" from the Lord's banquet table!!!!

I had time to journal, by hand (which I very rarely do), and to "soak up" the serenity and intimacy the Blessed Sacrament freely offered to me. I surrendered many things to God that I have allowed to tear at my heart and soul. It was a good feeling to hand these distractions, fears, insecurites and issues over to a power greater and larger than I could ever conceive! And, it was gently given from me to Him, He gently received these broken parts of myself. A truly awesome moment.

Although I was one of 2,000 people present, there were many times I felt like I was on a deserted island ... isolated from civilization and human contact. During these times, I had mixed emotions about this. It was a sense of balance and imbalance conflicting with one another.

On Sunday morning, the speaker's topic was "Rooted in Christ." He challenged all of us to a life of prayer. Lectio Divina was a suggested prayer experience. To give us a taste of this, the Sunday Gospel was read three times. I have posted the Gospel for you to reflect upon.

"The apostles gathered together with Jesus
and reported all they had done and taught.
He said to them,
"Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while."
People were coming and going in great numbers,
and they had no opportunity even to eat.
So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place.
People saw them leaving and many came to know about it.
They hastened there on foot from all the towns
and arrived at the place before them.

When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd,
his heart was moved with pity for them,
for they were like sheep without a shepherd;
and he began to teach them many things." Mark 6:30-34


The phrases which impacted me most were:

"Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while."

"for they were like sheep without a sheperd;"

Amazing how these two Scripture quotes hit me like an arrow straight toward my heart and how they coincided where I was at prior to and during this pilgrimage! I very much was in rhythm with the Lord, much like the pistons of an engine.

My heart is overflowing with a few more spiritual awakenings to share! So, part three is "coming soon!" Yet, it is in my best interest to sign off from cyberspace and the world by going to bed! Sweet dreams to one and all!

No comments: