Monday, July 20, 2009

Rocky Mountain High: Reflections on My Denver CO Adventure

This past weekend, I chaponered a group of 18 St. Cecilia parish high school students to Denver CO. This was my first time in four years to travel on an extended bus trip with teenagers. We attended Stuebenville of the Rockies, a eucharistic adoration conference co-sponsored by the Archdiocese of Denver and Franciscan University of Stuebenville, Steubenville, OH. Approximately 2,000 youth and adults gathered in the Mile High City of Denver. They came from all parts of the United States -- Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Utah, Minnesota, Colorado and New York to name a few.

Prior to and throughout the trip, I questioned why I was a part of this. First, I am not a St. Cecilia parishioner or staff member. Second, I am not connected to these students in any way, shape or form. However, our Heavenly Father had a mission, purpose and reason for bringing me nearly 1,000 miles away from Ames to encounter His presence in my life. In two parts, I will focus on the physical and spiritual challenges and benefits I experienced.

PHYSICAL CHALLENGES

A big hurdle for me was the physical challenges I endured. Sitting on a charter bus for 12 hours each way, was very grueling for me. It was hard to be comfortable, to sleep and relax. Dealing with the altitude was another issue. It was important to keep hydrated. When I was not drinking enough water, I experienced dull headaches, swelling and joint pain. These last two were definite "wake up calls" to do a better job in taking care of my physical self. I am fully aware of this weakness in my life, and this trip reaffirmed it. It was my version of carrying the cross as Jesus did. Also, we had little down time during the weekend. Thus, the lack of a full night's sleep for a couple of days was another issue. Overall, this aspect of the trip confirmed I'm not a "spring chicken" anymore. I have physical limits and when they are crossed, it's not a good thing for anyone. It is in these moments of intensity, I was refined like gold tested in fire. It is a transformative, painful, yet fulfilling experience if I choose to embrace the intensity.

As much as I enjoy traveling and working with young people, I have arrived to that point in life where I probably cannot do long bus trips with an intense schedule. This trip was deja vu to June 2005. I chaperoned kids from St. Anthony's parish in Dubuque to Catholic HEART Work Camp in Virginia Beach, VA. I had a lot of fun and many spiritual awakenings on that trip as well. However, due to 20+ hours of constant sitting on a bus, I encountered a Baker's cyst behind my left knee. Basically, this is a small pool of fluid created by little or poor fluid circulation. For a few days after the trip, I had difficulty walking, let alone, getting my balance. I could not place weight on my foot as it was too painful; nor could I extend my knee in any direction due to the excruating pain. When I returned to Dubuque, I ended up in a hospital outpatient department and found out it could have formed into a blood clot! Praise God He and His angels and saints protected me from serious complications and even death! Apparently, my life's mission on earth is far from being complete or I would have received the "divine call!"

It is definitely a Paschal Mystery moment here. I must admit my physical youthfulness has hit a plateau and I am so at peace to share this. The time has come to let go of this aspect of my life for something even more powerful and enriching to grow in place of it. However, my spiritual youthfulness continues to grow. I REFUSE to allow my "Irish inner child" to ever, ever die ... until the appropriate time comes to pass from this life to Eternal Life.

PHYSICAL BLESSINGS

There is much spiritual wisdom stored within the four words "no pain, no gain."

Through these physical obstacles, I was reminded that it is all about attitude. It is very important and to respect limits, but to also embrace the challenge they offer to "go the extra mile." Limits are another word for boundaries. Both can be adjusted as needed. As I ponder, I now realize I had a choice to "stay on the bus" all weekend, or to stretch my comfort zones both mentally and physically. I am grateful I did not succumb to Satan's desire to see me choose his path on this. It was much like the Footprints Prayer came to life for me. Jesus was there carrying me when I was ready to surrender. He gave me the strength and courage to press onward and forward. WOW ... what a gift I never imagined or expected. And it is a gift because it was given unconditionally from the Creator, the one who loves me when I don't love myself.

Further, my desire to exercise is within me; however, I can name every excuse in the book to keep me away from doing it. Perhaps this was Jesus saying to me that He's available to work out with me 24/7 ... I just need to initiate the invitation by asking Him to join me. Yet, this is equally true for my spiritual growth as well. I simply have to call upon Him, show up and surrender my will to His. All very simple to do, but so very difficult to execute.

For now, I will end this aspect of my reflection. In my next post, I will focus on the spiritual challenges and blessings of my trip. Thanks for reading and I hope you can relate and/or be motivated to grow in your physical and spiritual facets of your life.

No comments: