While I was living in Dubuque, one Lent I had an opportunity to attend a one-woman performance of Women of the Bible at the Sinsinawa Dominicans motherhouse in Sinsinsawa, WI. Anita Gutschick is the actress. She does a fabulous job of performing these various women of the Bible while recanting their Scripture stories.
Occassionally, I receive an e-newsletter from her. I enjoyed her wisdom and perspective in this recent issue and share it with you today. Anita's thoughts connect with one of my previous posts this summer, The Daffodil Principle. Amazing how God's whispers grow into a larger voice -- and when we, as humans, literally "connect the dots" to see how He is the Master Weaver!
May Anita's thoughts speak to your heart, mind and soul!
Kris
**********************************************
"Before Women of the Bible filled so much of my time, I worked a lot in our garden. This spring and early summer, we had lots of rain here in Maryland and everything has been growing like mad. Our yard is large and I was feeling overwhelmed. It seemed like the best thing to do would be to hire the job out. But that would cost a lot of money and besides, it would grow right back.
I made a decision. I need to work out regularly, so what if I committed to work in the garden about an hour a day, four or five days a week instead of working out? I bet I could get a lot done. It's amazing what happens when you make a commitment to a project - things happen! I'm surprised at how much I've accomplished. There's still lots more to do but I'm excited about the progress and there's been a splendid bonus. Being in the garden in the morning is so special (even though some mornings I dread going out). It's a chance to see God's creation up close and personal. It's quite amazing - the intricacy, the complexity, the abundance, the creativity, the sheer beauty of it all. There have been LOTS of weeds to pull and shrubs and trees to trim.
One day while pulling out weeds, I was struck by a thought: The garden reminds me of God's character. He can't be contained or tamed. No matter what I do, how I mess up, or how I fail to trust Him, His love and grace keep coming back, just like those tenacious weeds, shrubs and trees. God's love and grace are intricate, complex, abundant, and beautiful.
So, I guess what I'm saying is this: Even if you've been busy ripping, pulling, and cutting at God's love and grace by your behavior or desire to be in control, you can't tame God - just like I'll never tame my garden. God is way bigger than that.
"For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)
Now that's abundant love!"
Blessings,
Anita Gutschick
1 comment:
Thank you for always being so positive and inspiring, even on my bad days your words never cease to make my mouth crease into a big smile. I thank you for your words of encouragement, and want you to know that I safely traversed the distance between Rockford and Lake Mills and am going to enjoy my time here as much as possible. Catching up with friends online and in real life. Hopefully some friends will be able to make the trip, and then I will head back via Janesville where I plan to cull more inspiration from our beloved friend John.
Thanks for all that you do for me. I read a little pamphlet today that encourages us to see money as a gift from God, and not something that should be sought apart from him. God will provide if we only trust in Him.
I pray that your day goes well today, and that you are enjoying your weekend in Ames. It was a joy to spend a good part of this past week with you, and the good Lord willing we will again have time in the future!
Cheers,
Tim
Post a Comment