Monday, December 7, 2009

Define & Design YOUR Life ... NOW !

Over the weekend, I sorted through some of my older CD's and found John Mellencamp's 1998 self titled CD, John Mellencamp. He has a track called Your Life is Now that I remember suggesting it to a group of Marquette High School seniors as their class song. The message of the song is still true to me today as it was several years ago.


See the moon roll across the stars
See the seasons turn like a heart
Your father's days are lost to you
This is your time here to do what you will do

Your life is now your life is now your life is now
In this undiscovered moment
Lift your head up above the crowd

We could shake this world
If you would only show us how
Your life is now

Would you teach your children to tell the truth
Would you take the high road if you could choose
Do you believe you're a victim of a great compromise
'Cause I believe you could change your mind and change our lives

(repeat chorus)

Would you teach your children to tell the truth
This is your time here to do what you will do

(repeat chorus twice)


Little did I know that this song and Fr. Jon's weekend homily would relate to one another.

Fr. Jon's homily talked about the movie, The Bucket List. Recently, he met with a young man battling a terminal illness. Their discussion revolved around this movie. The young man did not like how the two characters played by Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson "bucket lists" focused on how the world "owed them" prior to their deaths. The young man felt it should be the other way around -- how can I make a difference in this world before I die? In other words, how can I formulate and execute a CHRISTIAN bucket list? Fr. Jon challenged us to think where can we offer reconciliation? Service?

Earlier this morning I listened to Christian performer, Amy Grant's Christmas song, "Grown Up Christmas List." I think the lyrics of this song coincide with Fr. Jon's homily and the lyrics to John Mellencamp's "Your Life is Now!" It's amazing how the Holy Spirit is communicating to me through these various mediums this Advent season!

Mellencamp's song challenges me to think of my values and how they impact those around me but future generations as well. I have the opportunity EVERY day to love unconditionally, to forgive, to serve as positive role models to youth and our peers. I have a daily opportunity to define and design our life by the choices I make. I just need to seize and embrace it without fear!

Grown-up Christmas List

Do you remember me?
I sat upon your knee;
I wrote to you
With childhood fantasies.

Well, I'm all grown-up now,
And still need help somehow.(Can you still help somehow)
I'm not a child,
But my heart still can dream.

So here's my lifelong wish,
My grown-up Christmas list.
Not for myself,
But for a world in need.

No more lives torn apart,
That wars would never start,(and wars would never start)
And time would heal all hearts.
And everyone would have a friend,
And right would always win,
And love would never end.
This is my grown-up Christmas list.

As children we believed
The grandest sight to see
Was something lovely
Wrapped beneath our tree.(Wrapped beneath the tree)

Well heaven surely knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul.

No more lives torn apart,
That wars would never start,
And time would heal all hearts.
And everyone would have a friend,
And right would always win,
And love would never end.
This is my grown-up Christmas list.

What is this illusion called the innocence of youth?
Maybe only in our blind belief can we ever find the truth.
(There'd be)

No more lives torn apart,
That wars would never start,
And time would heal all hearts.
And everyone would have a friend,
And right would always win,
And love would never end, oh.
This is my grown-up Christmas list.

This is my grown-up Christmas list.


Prior to Thanksgiving, I had a great conversation with a friend. I was at a low point and he really motivated and uplifted me. His words continue to resonate within me. What he challenged me with was the fact that no one can define me; I ultimately chose my life's definition and design. People can have an influence, but ultimately, I decide how much power their influence -- positive or negative -- I accept as my own.

As Mellencamp proclaims, "Your life is now in this undiscovered moment. Lift your head up above the crowd." Thus, it is important to live life in the moment, just as the young man with the terminal illness is doing.

During this Advent season, I need to consider and combine these thoughts and images into my own Christian Christmas List. Where do I need to offer the gifts of hope, peace, love and joy this season? How can I be a beacon of Christ's light? Where and how can I prepare the "inn of my heart" to receive Jesus on Christmas? It begins today in the present moment through my choices and decisions which define and reflect Christ in my thoughts, attitudes and actions within myself and toward others.

As I begin the second week of Advent, I am aware how those dearest to me reflect these Advent gifts to me. The Holy Spirit continues to reveal Himself to me through these people and forms of modern media. I pray that my heart and mind continue to remain receptive to His power, peace and providence in my life as I journey toward the joy of Christ's birth!

As always, here are the YouTube links for both songs! May they guide you in your reflection of your Christian Christmas List!

Your Life is Now YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q19zmdQsaM

Grown Up Christmas List YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmF2rsDHOZc

No comments: