Thursday, December 17, 2009

Look Through My Eyes

Good morning! It's another morning where I arose at 5:00 am because I could not sleep any longer. To help me relax and return to bed, I turned to the internet. I saw a status post on Facebook from a friend's 16 year old daughter, Marie, that caught my attention. Marie posted part of the lyrics from Phil Collins song, Look Through My Eyes. I was immediately drawn to their meaning.

Through a series of comment posts, Marie explained to her friend the lyrics are from the 2003 Disney movie soundtrack, Brother Bear. Needless to say, the "detective gene" I inherited from my father, kicked in as I began a quest to find the complete lyrics and video via YouTube. Since I have not watched this movie, I also discovered a brief film synopsis:

Long ago, as the Earth was emerging from the Ice Age, there were three brothers. After a bear takes the life of the oldest brother, impulsive youngest brother Kenai kills the bear in revenge, only to be transformed into a bear himself. Denahi, the middle brother, comes upon this bear and, thinking it killed Kenai, vows revenge. Now brother hunts brother and Kenai's only hope for survival is to befriend his own worst enemy, a grizzly cub named Koda. Koda main goal is to show Kenai the real meaning of brotherhood.

What drew me to investigate the deeper meaning behind the movie's theme and this song's lyrics was the spiritual message I heard the first time I listened to the song.

The opening verse reminded me no matter what, I will have dual roles in the "classrooom of life." There will be times I will be the student, which is most of the time, learning new things about the many dimensions of the world, how I relate to it and learning about myself. There will be times where I will serve as a teacher through role modeling and/or sharing my perspectives and life experiences with others. However, the song also reminded me to keep my focus on Christ and to look through HIS eyes whenever I am in these roles. Christ is the "Master Teacher" and would never direct me down the wrong path.

Secondly, this song has an Advent theme to it for me through this verse:

There will be times on this journey
When all you see is darkness
But out there somewhere
Daylight finds you if you keep believing

So don't run, don't hide
It will be all right, you'll see
Trust me, I'll be there
Watching over you


This verse reminds me during times of spiritual and/or emotional darkness, to keep believing the light as at the end of the proverbial tunnel. It is up to me to have faith and believe I will find it, to not give up by running or hiding. And, there is a constant set of eyes "watching over me" whether I am living in the darkness or in the light -- and they belong to Christ.

Lastly, I am reminded of the Serenity Prayer, one of my favorites, through this song. There are a lot of things I CAN change in my life, but it is up to me to take the proper steps to do so. One of those steps is prayer and intercession to Christ and His mother, Mary. I am not always good about interceding to the Blessed Mother; however, she is always watching over me as well. Through prayer, encouragement from others and self motivation, transformation occurs. Thus, it's about the Paschal Mystery -- dying to my current life to rise into a new chapter with Christ as the center of it all.

I guess there was a definite reason for my "early rising" this morning! Who would have ever thought a teenager's Facebook status post would turn into a moment of inspiration to write! Simple answer -- God knew! WOW!

How is Christ asking you on this Advent morning to "Look Through My Eyes" today and everyday?

As always, here are the lyrics and YouTube link! Have a great day, my friends! Time to head back to bed for 45 minutes!


Just take a look through my eyes
(Look through my eyes)
There's a better place somewhere out there
Oh, look, just take a look through my eyes
(Look through my eyes)
Everything changes, you'll be amazed what you'll find
(There's a better place)
If you look through my eyes

There will be times on this journey
When all you see is darkness
But out there somewhere
Daylight finds you if you keep believing

So don't run, don't hide
It will be all right, you'll see
Trust me, I'll be there
Watching over you

Just take a look through my eyes
(Take a look through
my eyes)
There's a better place somewhere out there
Oh, just take a look through my eyes
(Take a look through my eyes)
Everything changes, you'll be amazed what you'll find
(There's a better place)
If you look through my eyes

All the things that you can change
There's a meaning in everything
And you will find all you'll need
There's so much to understand

Take a look through my eyes
(Take a look through my eyes)
There's a better place somewhere out there
Oh, just take a look through my eyes
(Just take a look through my eyes)
Everything changes, you'll be amazed what you'll find
(You'll be amazed what you'll find)

Oh, just take a good look through my eyes
(Take a look through my eyes)
There's a better place somewhere out there
Just take a look through my eyes
(Take a look through my eyes)
Everything changes, you'll be amazed what you'll find
(You'll find a better place)

Look through my eyes
You'll find a better place
Just take a look through my eyes
You'll find a better place
If you look through my eyes


Just take a look through my eyes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0TvoCZJAJI

No comments: