Thursday, December 3, 2009

Peace



Peace -- Jim Brickman
from his Christmas CD, Peace

On a city street somewhere,
Someone shoots a gun
In the midnight air.
And I don't know why.
Somebody lives, somebody dies;
Somebody wrongs and a mother cries.
And I don't know why.

Some things we'll never understand;
Other things you change if you can.

Chorus:
Peace, you'll find it where the heart is,
And the heart is right where love lives,
And love can always find a way.
Hope is something that reminds us,
It's not too late to find us.
One day we may be in peace.

Haven't spoken in thirty years
After angry words and bitter tears.
And I don't know why.
Best of brothers and best of friends;
One mistake and their story ends.
And I don't know why.

Some things we'll never understand;
Other things you change if you can.

Chorus

It's all about forgiveness;
With God as my witness
I wanna live to see peace.

Chorus




Peace is another non-traditional Christmas song that has deep meaning for me.

For me, this song truly delivers the message of the Advent and Christmas seasons. The chorus sums it up for me -- peace resides in our hearts! All we need to do is search for, and accept it, as it is an unconditional gift. As humans, we must admit we place the conditions on this gift.

I also like the lyric: Some things we'll never understand; Other things you change if you can.

These two sentences remind me of the Serenity Prayer, which is one of my favorites. It's all about knowing what we can change, what we cannot and the wisdom to know the difference between these two points. Thus, this song indirectly expresses this prayer to me.

May this song serve as a catalyst to help each of us discover inner peace. Once we find our inner peace, it will radiate outward to all we encounter. We can be agents for change in this world and promote global peace ... one person at a time! However, will I choose to take this bold step to find this gift within myself? And, once I do discover this treasure, will I take another bold step and share it with others? Where is forgiveness needed in my life this Advent season? It's important to remember forgiveness involves three -- the individual(s) we harmed, God and to forgive ourselves for our wrongdoing. For me, the most difficult person for me to forgive is myself. Being I was never a good math student, I always forget this part of the equation! Perhaps this is difficult for me because I am my harshest critic. Maybe self forgiveness is something I ponder and reflect upon this Advent season. As I look at the lyrics near the end of the song, it challenges me to consider the fact God is my witness and wants me to live in peace and forgiveness. WOW! What a concept ... and gift ... that I take for granted!

Perhaps this is something all of us need to consider this Advent season. Where can each of us BE a witness to peace and forgiveness between now and December 25th? How can we witness peace and forgiveness this Advent season?

St. Francis de Sales' prayer helps me to center and focus on my inner peace.

The Prayer of St. Francis de Sales


Be at Peace
Do not look forward in fear to the changes of life;
rather look to them with full hope as they arise.

God, whose very own you are,
will deliver you from out of them.

He has kept you hitherto,
and He will lead you safely through all things;
and when you cannot stand it,
God will bury you in his arms.

Do not fear what may happen tomorrow;
the same everlasting Father who cares for you today
will take care of you then and everyday.

He will either shield you from suffering,
or will give you unfailing strength to bear it.

Be at peace,
and put aside all anxious thoughts and imagination.

St. Francis de Sales 1567-1622


"Let peace begin with ME!"

Here's the link to the song, Peace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvx74fkqTwk

No comments: