Saturday, December 26, 2009

Divine Grace

Throughout the morning, my heart is in the mood to write. Unfortunately, my mind is experiencing "writer's block." -- until a few moments ago! The proverbial dam in my mind has been opened by God and now I am flooded with thoughts rushing from my brain to my fingertips as I stroke the keyboard as fast as I can keep up with my thoughts!

Through the social networking tool, Facebook, I subscribe to a daily application called "Message from God." Many times it is amazing to me how the daily messages are "in sync" with the confines of my heart, mind and soul. Today is an example of this phenomenon.

Today's message is this:

"... that you are to let grace flow freely from your heart. Think back over the last few days, - how many times have you felt appreciation toward another? How many times have you thought about another: 'what a lovely smile', or 'she is so nice', or 'such a kind man', or... any of a myriad of other appreciative thoughts. Did you express them? Did you come up to her and say: 'you are so nice'? And why not? Why did you stop divine grace from flowing freely from your heart? Do you want to change the world to the better? This is it, this is how you start."

In the past few days, I have experienced the grace of God through strangers I will probably never see again and people I don't see often.

The first was last Tuesday on my way to Dubuque from Ames. I stopped at The Mill, a convenience store at the Parkersburg/Grundy Center exit on Hwy 20. I searched the store for windshield wiper fluid, but could not find it. A store employee assisted and informed me it was out of stock. However, he offered to go to the storeroom and replenish my wiper fluid reservoir with product he had in reserve.

Once we popped my car's hood, we discovered my tank was dry! The man generously replenished the tank ... at no charge! I thanked and wished him a Merry Christmas! He served as a Christmas angel by "paying it forward" so I could safely drive and see through my windshield for the remainder of my trip!

On Christmas Eve, I stopped in a Dubuque jewelry store to replace my watch battery. I know the owner and his family from my time I worked at Marquette in Bellevue.

The owner's youngest son, Lucas, welcomed me with a huge hug and assisted me. After a few minutes, Lucas returned to the counter with my watch. He looked deep into my eyes and said, "Merry Christmas!" as he handed me the watch. I asked what I owed him. He then repeated, "Merry Christmas!" I asked a second time and he repeated himself. I looked to his Dad, Mike, and he gently nodded that the battery was complimentary Christmas gift. I was deeply grateful and touched by their generosity -- especially on the busiest day of the year for their business! It was an unexpected, unconditional gift, they gave to me and I initially was not receptive toward their generosity and kindness. From a spiritual perspective, how (and why) do I act this way toward Christ and the Trinity?

Yesterday, on Christmas Day, I received a priceless gift from Julie, my sister. She shared many affirming thoughts about my personality and in a very loving manner, shared how I sabotage myself from allowing my natural gifts and personality to shine. She gave me a huge challenge for 2010 -- to discover my true self and gifts by investing the same amount of time and energy into myself as I do for others. My sister has graciously offered to be my "personal trainer" from afar by giving me the support I need to make a major lifestyle change in my diet and exercise routine and attitude. Talk about selflessness and unconditional love! To keep it light, Julie is calling it "The Biggest Loser -- Egan Edition," by inviting other family members to join the cause! She'll affectionately serve as Jillian, one of the shows personal trainers, for all of us. To me, my sister put into action one of my favorite Scripture quotes, "No greater love than this, than to lay down one's life for one's friends." (John 15:13) Through her honesty and unconditional love for me, she gave me the gifts of hope and good health -- physically, emotionally and spiritually! WOW ... those gifts cannot be found or purchased anywhere! They only come from the shelves of our hearts! This conversation serves as an opportunity of rebirth in these aspects of my life!

Through this morning's "Message from God" meditation, it has "spiritually awakened" me to realize how I block receiving God's grace in these simple actions and attitudes. This little cyberspace message serves as a connection between me and the Creator. He has spoken to me through strangers, family and friends in the past few days and weeks to discover His grace within others and myself. How has this meditation spoken to your heart, mind and soul today? How can you be a conduit of God's divinity and grace today? At the same time, whom has served as a conduit of His grace for you today?

As I end, I realize how these three scenarios have one thing in common -- the giving and receiving of intangible gifts without any strings or conditions attached. It's all about gratitude which leads to the gift of grace! Mother Teresa challenges each of us with her quote, "I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples."

May your Christmas season continue to be filled with many grace-filled moments!

No comments: