Thursday, December 10, 2009

What is My Fiat?

For Catholics, Tuesday, December 8, was the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a holy day. On holy days, Catholics are expected to attend Mass.

While at Mass, I experienced a peacefulness through the music and Fr. Dennis' homily. I truly felt the Blessed Mother's presence and spirit working through these two instruments of the Father!

One of my favorite contemporary Christian Christmas songs is "Mary, Did You Know?" This song rolled through my head as a form of prayer. It helped to reflect on the Gospel story of the Holy Spirit telling Mary she would bear our Savior, Jesus. This was part of God's plan. By saying YES to the Father, she was saying, "Fiat voluntas tua... Let it happen to me..."

Through my reflection time, I pondered Mary's fiat. I imagined myself in her shoes when the Holy Spirit came upon her. What a humbling moment it probably was for her --to know she would conceive and bear a Savior! What was it like for her to be completely unblemished from original sin? Why did the Father choose her for this part of His plan and our salvation?

Eventually, I pondered and applied what this Gospel story's message is for my life. What is my life's fiat? What (and how) is God calling me to surrender to His will for my life?

I am just an "average Joe" type of person; yet, God has a special mission, a special fiat for me as He did for our Blessed Mother. I know I am not destined, nor desire, to serve as president of the United States or in some other high profile position. However, I know I am called to serve in smaller ways through my life as a single woman.

This morning, I read a reflection from Daphne Rose Kingma's devotional, A Garland of Love: Daily Reflections on the Magic and Meaning of Love. Today's reflection coincides with my ponderings regarding where I am to serve.

To Serve

"We came here to serve love. Whatever you may think is the reason you came to earth, you have understood it only in part if you haven't understood that you came here to serve love.

Whatever we do, no matter how commonplace or pedestrian it may seem, at some level it is part of our contribution to the evolution of the human stream.

Serving love means that we are here to console one another, to be joined, to erase all differences that divide us, and to remember that before and after all time, we are one."


Kingma's thoughts reflects the Blessed Mother and how we can emulate her in our daily lives. Mary is a symbol of peace and unity for me. She serves love as our spiritual mother, Catholic or otherwise! Mary's fiat was answered in love to the Father when she said "Yes, let it be done unto me, Lord!"

The chances of us experiencing a supernatural event such as Mary did will most likely not occur for most of us. However, I think it is important to remember to be receptive to extraordinary moments through the ordinary, routine events of our daily lives. Thus, it is in the simplest acts of love and kindness that we truly serve others and discover our life's fiat. When I think about it, I have an opportunity to help the materially and spiritually blind and poor through the simplicity of a listening ear or performing a random act of kindness. The Advent season challenges me to look for ways to serve others in these ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivxf3q-k6ds

"Mary Did You Know"

[Originally written by Mark Lowry and Buddy Greene]

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little Baby you kissed the face of God?

Mary did you know.. Ooo Ooo Ooo

The blind will see.
The deaf will hear.
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap.
The dumb will speak
The praises of The Lamb.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day rule the nations?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
The sleeping Child you're holding is the Great, I Am.

No comments: