Friday, December 4, 2009

"I LOVE INTERRUPTIONS!"

"When you are exasperated by interruptions, try to remember that their very frequency may indicate the valuableness of your life. Only the people who are full of help and strength are burdened by other people's needs. The interruptions which we chafe at are the credentials of our indispensability. The greatest condemnation that anybody could incur -- and it is a danger to guard against -- is to be so independent, so unhelpful, that nobody ever interrupts us and we are left comfortably alone." Anonymous

I have this quote on my file cabinet above my desk at St. Thomas. I found this many years ago when I was a student at Loras College in Dubuque. I'm amazed I have held on to this little piece of paper for all these years!

However, I think it's message applies to every day, but especially during December when all of us are in a crazy frenzy as we prepare for Christmas. We are bombarded with a zillion interruptions and requests from others. There are times when I need to be left alone so I can focus and complete tasks. It never seems to fail that just as I get into the groove, I am interrupted by someone or distracted by something. This leads to frustration and other negative emotions.

However, this quote helps me to realize the positive within interruptions, distractions and requests from others. I am gently reminded I do have something to offer to someone in need. In essence, this is a compliment to me when someone reaches out for help. I return the favor when I interrupt someone for their time and/or assistance. It could be my physical assistance or just taking the time to listen to someone. When I ponder this more deeply, I realize that each person whom comes to me represents Christ. And, during the Advent season, represents Christ as an infant. How and what do I respond to others during this season? Do I choose to be like Scrooge from Charles Dickens, A Christmas Story, and be filled with resentment and send the person away? Or, do I choose a positive, Christian response by putting my needs on the back burner and assist the person in need?

The next time someone interrupts us, which response will we choose? It is an opportunity to encounter Christ and to serve as a representative of Christ at the same time.

No comments: