This morning was a very powerful experience for me.
I decided to change my Sunday morning pace by rising early and attending Mass at Ss. Peter and Paul in rural Gilbert, IA.
The Gospel today spoke of Mary visiting her cousin, Elizabeth. Both women were miraculously pregnant -- Mary via the Holy Spirit, was carrying the Messiah; Elizabeth, whom had been barren for many years, was pregnant with John the Baptist. To me, both women are proof of the age old motto -- "nothing is impossible with God!"
The timing of this Gospel's message, on this fourth Sunday of Advent, is perfect as Christmas is rapidly approaching us!
The world around us is in a frantic pace these last few days before Christmas! "So much to do and not enough time to do it," weighs on our minds and hearts. From a scripture perspective, it is definitely a "Martha's world" (and I don't mean Martha Stewart, either). "Busy! Busy! Busy! Lists! Lists! Lists! No time to chat because I have so much to get done before Christmas Eve!" runs through most minds at this time of the year.
However, Mary teaches us otherwise. She challenges each of us to counter the American culture's message by slowing down and taking our time to focus and pray. Thus, in today's Gospel, she forgoes all of her responsibilities related to giving birth by traveling to visit her pregnant cousin, Elizabeth. Mary takes time to re-connect with Elizabeth -- a message to take into this Christmas season -- connecting with family and close friends by being PRESENT to them. To me, this is the greatest gift to give and receive at the same time. What I remember most about Christmas is the time spent with my family and friends. It's all about "Moments make memories! Cherish both!" This little motto was a gift I received last Christmas from Dad's dear Irish friend, Mike Dudley. And, it is so very, very true! Needless to say, I am looking forward to going to Dubuque to celebrate with my crazy Irish clan and various friends!
In an unexpected and profound way, the Gospel came to life for me immediately following Mass.
As I left the church, it was snowing very hard. Long story made short, I ended up waiting in my car for nearly hour before I could leave. I was pinned into my parking spot by a pick up truck in front and a car behind me. At first, I embraced a Mary attitude and patiently waited for the respective owners to show up. After thirty minutes of waiting, I began to sway the other direction and take on a Martha attitude. I had places to go, things to do and breakfast to eat! However, as my impatience,selfishness and a bit of my Irish temper began to rise, I surrendered it by asking for patience, selflessness and peace to overcome me. I took advantage of the opportunity by recognizing Christ "had me where He wanted me!" A sense of peace eventually came over me.
As I continued to patiently wait, I observed how parishioners, particularly an elementary school student, took the time to help their fellow neighbors by cleaning off others cars ... anonymously! Such an unconditional and selfless gift these individuals gave to others! It was so cool to watch these "random acts of kindness!" I probably would've missed witnessing this if I had been able to pull out immediately after Mass.
About an hour later, the owner of the car behind me showed up. They quickly brushed off the snow from their vehicle and back out so I could do so. Less than a minute later, I ended up in a fresh drift of snow! The woman's teenage son and daughter, as well as the elementary school boy, helped me by pushing my car out. Again, a random act of kindness performed by complete strangers ... and youth, at that!
As I drove down the county road, it was very, very snow covered. At one point, the pick up ahead of me hit a patch of ice and began swerving all over the place! Needless to say, this scared me and I reacted by doing the wrong thing ... hitting the brakes ... and then I began to swerve! Thankfully, both the other driver and myself maintained control of our vehicles. Spiritually, it was a sign of me being Martha again by being in a rush! I really wasn't in that big of a hurry. This incident immediately help me to re-focus and re-prioritze by slowing my speed amidst the road conditions.
Amidst the "hustle and bustle" of these next few weeks, I pray to keep my heart receptive to witness more moments of unconditional love ... and the opportunity to share them with others as well! May you be blessed with these gifts as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment